Saturday, April 11, 2009

4th Stop - Arches National Park

4/2/09
It was cold when I woke up. Cold pains shot through my fingers as I pulled down the tent. But I had to keep going, a reservation at Dead Horse Point awaited me. I kept thinking about a luke-warm shower would also await me after I packed up the car. Disappointment instead was my reality - the rangers had turned off the water during the cold snap. I almost cried and in fact did when I finally talked to Michael on the phone. The loneliness hit me hard and I was ready to head home. But Michael convinced me that I would enjoy my stay at Dead Horse Point.

There are two national parks near Dead Horse Point: Arches and Canyonlands. Even though Olympia was with me, I could not pass up the opportunity to visit either. So I turned off the road just before entering Moab into Arches.

I am often disappointed if I just drive through a park without getting out of the car for a hike or two. Although I enjoyed seeing the new scenery, I wished I could walk through some of the sandstone canyons and features. Too bad the Park Service has such a negative view on dogs. I understand their reasoning but Olympia is practically lame so wouldn't be chasing after anything - except maybe a tumbleweed - and I do pick up after her. I will just have to come back at some point for more exploration.




No comments: