Tuesday, April 07, 2009

2nd Stop - Bruneau Sand Dunes


3/30/09

I had driven through most of the night and snow storms in the mountains of Idaho - a little hairy at 2am when I was practically the only one travelling on the highway. After sleeping in the car in Riggins, we were off again heading to Bruneau Sand Dunes near Mountain Home. Winter was still in existence in the mountains but spring seemed to be right around the corner in the valleys. At Bruneau it seemed as if spring was being swept in by the wind.

Setting up my tent was an exercise in creativity as I sorted out the pieces and chased down stray bits as they darted across the campground. Finally, I staked down the ground cloth and tent and got the poles positioned. Everything after that was fairly easy. With the tent set up, Olympia and I went on a hike along the lake and through one of the smaller dunes. One of the reasons I like Bruneau so much is the sense of solitude that can be experienced as you walk though the dunes large and small. Although people were having a picnic in the sand I felt as if I had the place to myself.

Coots swam through the water, skimming just under the surface for algae. Wind kicked up the loose sand carrying it across the surface in a fine dust. Jack rabbits darted from shrub to shrub. A hawk floated on thermals overhead. Birds flitted through the winter-bare trees. All of a sudden, Olympia stood at attention hackles raised a low grumble escaped from the throat - I steeled myself for what I believed would have to be a dog tackle before she chased off after some poor critter. Instead Olympia darted after a tumbleweed. Yes, my big brave puppy felt the need to protect me from a vicious attack of tumbleweeds.

After a beautiful sunset, we settled into the tent for the evening serenaded to sleep by an owl or two.




No comments: