Monday, April 27, 2009

Just another day at the Mountain



Pan Point, 4/26/09, 3 1/2 miles, 1400 elevation

We joined our friend Dave and a group he was leading on a snowshoe trip out at the mountain. I almost didn't head out - I spend so much time on Rainier as it's in my backyard that I get just a little bored with her. But the night before, I convinced myself to go get a day in the snow and fresh air even if it would be the same old boring area at Paradise.

The day started out normally, climbing through the snowfields behind the visitor's center. Fields that in just a few months will be covered in wildflowers, tourists and even bears. Then we got to the bottom of the hill climbing up to Panorama Point. The plan was that anyone who wanted to go up the hill would continue on with Dave - anyone who didn't want to attempt it would make a shorter loop wit Michael & I. Everyone decided to head up the hill, with Michael & I following behind to coach anyone who needed it.

It was a triumph for everyone as several of our trip members were pretty new to snowshoeing. The views were perfect - behind us stood Mt Rainier in all her glory, off to the east stretched the snowy cascades, to our south the Tatoosh Range were gnarled teeth across the valley. After resting at the top and picking up a new member for the group we circled around through the moraine areas below Muir Snowfield.

Then it was time to head back, but the snow was sloppy and hard. Going downhill would be treacherous, so came a quick lesson in glissading. And we began to slide our way back to the parking lot on our butts. Again a triumph for almost everyone as nobody had glissaded before. I personally had so much fun coming down that I was ever so happy to have changed my mind.




No comments: