Monday, December 31, 2007

A year of adventure

As 2007 is put to rest and we begin to plan for 2008, I look back at what I had done this past year.At the start of 2007 the northwest was still reeling from the crippling storms of November & December of '06. The 2007 recreation outlook appeared rather bleak. Roads, trails and parks were closed which limited the opportunities to get outside for a little solitude. But I forged ahead to prove that we didn't need to sit in mourning for our northwest lands.

The 2007 New Year had me camping in the rain at Kalaloch (talk about bad omens). Later in January, Michael & I went to explore the storm damage when I fell, which laid me up for the month of February. But March came along to pull me out of my slump as I helped with few classes for the Mountaineer's Basic Photo Course. That kept me busy until I left for my grand vacation to the canyons of southern Utah and northern Arizona.

I got back home and started planning for my next trip to the Southwest as well as preparing for our climb up Mt St Helens in May. Exploration of the low-lands during April proved that spring was on the way and after our failed attempt at the mountain, we looked hopefully for summer. While waiting, Mt Rainier welcomed our return to her slopes - the damage couldn't hold back anyone who loved recreating on our grand volcano.

June started us out on our very rainy summer. Not a single camping trip on the west slope went by without our getting a little rain on us. We trudged through the Quinault Rainforest in boots oozing mud and water. The one time I camped on the east side with the Naturalists, I stayed dry. In August, I survived my first solo backpack - one wet night, but I did it and now I know I can. And then summer turned to fall and we found beauty in central Oregon on a short Labor Day road trip.

Our autumn road trip took us from Jasper to Banff to Glacier to Yellowstone. Always looking for sun but only meeting rain and snow. Then we came back home to watch storms and look for lowland hikes. And finally as the snow blankets our mountains one again, I must smile at a well-lived year. I have the greatest hopes for this new one.

Have an adventurous New Year!