Monday, December 31, 2007

An end for 2007


Coal Creek Falls 12/31/07 3 miles
Other than camping in a wonderful spot with a view, I can't think of anything better to do at the end of a year than a quiet hike in the woods. As the snow blankets the mountains at higher altitudes, I chose a little hike in the Issaquah Alps - on Cougar Mountain.

I usually avoid the Issaquah Alps, mainly because they are so close to Seattle and being so close to Seattle, you don't always get solitude. Tiger Mountain can be a rave party any time of year. I have found some solitude while on these trails - mostly on the unpopular trails. Today I was going somewhere very popular.

I had heard some description of Coal Creek and the waterfall there and thought what a good idea. The sun made an appearance as Olympia & I made our way to the trail. A quick stop for snacks and we were casually making our way up the hill drinking in the sun and the whitish bark of alders against the winter blue sky.

Although the parking lot was almost full, we met only two other people on our way to the falls. Olympia happily ran along the trail ahead of me, trotting back to check on my progress before going ahead. We heard the falls before coming to them, a good sign as most waterfalls are diminished or non-existent by this time of year. After admiring the falls, we continued on our loop to the ballfield meadow. Oh, if Camas has been replanted here, I'll need to come back in the spring for these beautiful purple flowers. On our way back to the car, we made a little side trip to see a some artifacts of the mining industry in the area.

I really shouldn't avoid the Issaquah Alps, for solitude can be found here as well as natural beauty and a little history thrown in.

No comments: