Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Birds at Alki


Last year I started a new activity: Winter bird watching at Alki in West Seattle. I was amazed the first time I went out with the Mountaineers naturalists to Alki and saw bird after bird: Scoulers, Cormorants, Grebes, Turnstones, Surf Birds, ducks, geese. The list went on and my excitement grew.

This year, I stood on the pier watching and photographing a pair of Cormorants fight over a fish. All of a sudden, they dropped the fish and flew off. Then into my viewfinder flew a Bald Eagle. He picked up the fish then dropped it again, maybe it really wasn't that great after all, and flew straight to me.

I was still basking in the experience of it all when a Sea Lion that had also been close by started barking and swimming closer to the pier as if to draw attention to himself and away from the spectacular birds surrounding us.

No comments: