Tuesday, April 29, 2014

No Tripod? No Problem!



Ever head out on a simple hike or walk through the park and come across a scene that makes you stop and pull out your camera? Then you find that the scene is too dark for a fast enough shutter speed to hand hold? You may have even contemplated heading home for tripod, but were afraid to lose the light?

I think we've all been there.

I know I have. As in the image above.

I was able to stay at NatureBridge a couple of  weekends ago with several friends as we headed out to the Washington Coast for the April beach cleanup. A few of us decided to take a walk around Barnes Point where the learning center is located. I grabbed my camera, just in case I saw something to photograph along the way - but not the tripod.

And well, just a few yards down the trail I saw this scene. It's a classic scene of the Olympic Peninsula - moss draped trees, bushy ferns, green forest floor with a criss-cross of fallen trees also covered in moss and a trail luring you farther into the forest.

I had to capture this image. but a quick check of my settings and I knew I'd never be able to hand-hold the camera for a steady image. Glancing around, I saw a tree right next to the trail, so I pressed my camera against the tree and rattled off a few exposures.

I have on occasion used a stump, a rock, a log and even a hiking buddy's shoulder.

Most often when you are caught with a longer than desirable shutter speed, all you need for a steady image is something steady to rest the camera on. And maybe a continuous shutter, so you're not moving the camera with each shutter release.

So next time you're out and see the perfect image but it's a little too dark, find something to brace your camera against.

No comments: