Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Best Laid Plans . . .



It was shaping up to be the perfect image. I could see it all in my mind. Sunlight streaming over the hillside, lighting the flowers at my feet maybe a little sun-star effect to enhance the composition. But you know what they say, best laid plans of mice and men.

My buddy Ed & I arrived early to Dalles Mountain Ranch in the Columbia River Gorge. I knew the flowers were blooming and had really hoped I could convince him that heading to Columbia Hills State Park would be a good idea. Dalles Mountain in Washington is less well known than the over-crowded Rowena Plateau on the Oregon side of the gorge. We had photographed at Rowena the morning before - Ed really wanted that classic image of wildflowers at sunrise with the river in the background. And the flowers at Rowena were less than spectacular, in comparison to previous visits.

It was more Ed's trip than mine so I didn't push too much, until we woke up the next morning . . . with rain falling on our tents. We decided to get up anyway, because you never know what will happen in the gorge as my previous trip had proven. We got out of tents, saw a break in the clouds near Dalles Mountain and we sped off to our hoped for amazing images.

Thirty minutes later, we were traipsing through the flower-filled meadows on the side of the mountains. Raindrops still clung to the leaves and grasses, dowsing our boots as we looked for our vantage points. As I meandered, I looked at the hillside to the east and saw a notch that I really liked. Then I found the perfect batch of purple lupine for my foreground.

I was getting more excited as I saw my image come together. I started lining up my composition and saw the ridge just beyond my lupine lined with bright yellow balsamroot.

Yes! This was going to be perfect! The sun would peak at my flowers just to the right of the notch. The aperture of my lens was scrunched down as tight as it would go to make a nice sunstar. And as the sun crested the hill it would also cast light onto the lupine and balsamroot beyond.

I was down-right giddy.

I waited as the sun crept closer to the rim of  the hill. Then I noticed clouds inching their way towards the sun. I willed the sun to rise a little faster. And then just as it hit the lip of the hill to cast light on my perfect image the stupid cloud passed in between us.

NOOO! Stupid *&$%#@ cloud!

I probably shouldn't have called it a bad word, for just after my outburst I was hit with the clouds outburst of rain. I made a few exposures to salvage the morning and returned to the car and Ed, who had called it quits just before I did.

But I like this image and a cup of coffee and an omelette were perfect right afterward.

No comments: