Monday, April 14, 2014

And then the clouds parted . . .


What do you do to prepare your photographic eye prior to a day's photo trip, or a week's photo voyage? What are your sources for research? Do you pour over guidebooks? Read descriptions on travel blogs? Look at other photographers' works?

Admittedly, I will do all three. Not to copy the work of those before but to understand what to look for as I'm there. How does the light hit certain landmarks during different times of the day? If I know I want to be here at sunrise and there at sunset then I don't have to spend too much time trying to find the places I want to be. And if I'm travelling to photo excursion for just the day, I don't waste precious time finding the image with the light.

So, on a recent trip to Beacon Rock State Park on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge, I flipped through images on google. I had been to Beacon Rock a few times before and climbed to the top of the famed rock. (A little history, the rock was named by Lewis & Clark on their journey west. The rocky thumb sticking up from the river's edge helped guide them along the river.) But I had never seen the rock from the water side of the park. Looking at the images on google, I realized that the river view would be amazing both in the morning light and again in the evening.

So the morning after I got to the park (after midnight, no more camping spots, slept in my car right next to the train tracks - oh yeah, I forgot about the trains), I hopped out of the car and looked eastward towards the lightening sky and saw along the horizon building clouds. Sigh.

Now would you go home after the research, the drive and the train disturbed sleep in your car? I hope your answer is, Heck No! And a good thing too. The weather report said partly cloudy and clouds blow in and out. So maybe, hopefully, all the stars will align and a break in the clouds will let the sun shine though and light the face of Beacon Rock.

I set up my camera on the mooring dock and waited. Talked to another photographer, and waited. Chatted with the fishermen waiting for their friends, and waited. Finally my bladder couldn't wait any longer and I walked back to the shore. Did my business. My dog Zillah did hers. Then we meandered over to the boat launching dock.

And as we got to the end of the dock . . . the clouds parted.

No comments: