Monday, January 14, 2013

Creativity Lesson

Try this for a creativity challenge - a Scavenger Hunt.

I've participated in scavenger hunts since a I was a kid. Who didn't enjoy teaming up with friends to figure out clues to get to the final prize. Even an introvert like me enjoyed the game because I was allowed to work out puzzles and apply the results.

A few years ago I participated in my first photo scavenger hunt while at a retreat on the northern Olympic Peninsula. It was fun, but seemed more clinical - take a photo of a deer, take a picture of lavender. Each could be construed in a creative manner according to the photographer, but I was really just collecting images to try & win. I participated in a few after that, but never really felt challenged to explore my creativity.

This past weekend, I partook in another photo scavenger hunt. For this one we were given destinations and were told to photograph the area keeping in mind to look for images that show the area as a tourist destination. We again hit the peninsula but traveled with specific destinations. Each photographic team arrived at each destination about the same time but we each had to create our own vision withing the parameters of the task.

Here are a few of my images from the day.

Tacoma Dome Station, Tacoma WA



Gig Harbor, WA 


Port Orchard, WA


 Chief Sealth's Gravesite, Suquamish, WA


 Story Wall, Bainbridge Island, WA




1 comment:

Sedona Hiking said...

Scavenger hunts are always fun, especially if it's done in a new place.