Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Toadstool Trail


3/28/07

So far I had hiked under a natural arch, up a canyon to a graceful waterfall, around rock chimneys, and a into a canyon filled with wondrous rock formations. However, all these hikes were trails, well signed and well marked. I arrived at the Toadstool Trail to another type of trail - actually not a trail at all but a route marked with cairns. This was the type of hike that bothered me so when I was planning my trip. I was filled with questions of doubt. What if I lost my way?

Toadstools is a short trail, close to the highway - a perfect hike to tentatively push my comfort zone. Test the edges, see how I do and maybe I'll allow myself a longer excursion next year. Yes, I had already decided that I would be returning to this dry, sky-filled country next March . . . or maybe next April. But for now I needed to find my way from cairn to cairn to the toadstool formations and back again.

A path meandered through the sage and grass, easily followed at this early stage. But I was soon deposited into a wash full of footprints. So far this wasn't too bad. As I traveled to each cairn my confidence grew and I could see the 1st of the toadstools perched on a tumble of rocks ahead. Toadstool formations have a skinny neck of sandstone supporting a round rock that looks as if touched would tumble to the ground.

I meandered around the sandstone plateau that is home to several of these formations. I could see and barely hear the highway off in the distance reminded of a few trails back home that run along the highway. Except for the occasional truck, a hiker may never know the road is just a few yards off through the trees. Here I was a little less than a mile away, in open country and smiled at the effect. I a lot of ways, this trip reminded me home - not only in the differences but there are also similarities.

No comments: