Sunday, April 15, 2007

Antelope Canyon


3/30/07

When you've been saturated with images of a special place and then finally make your own pilgrimage there one of two things can happen. Either you stand in awe that here you stand in this very special place, or it just won't stand up to you expectations. Happily I can say that I stood in awe of Antelope Canyon - at least the lower canyon impressed me, the upper one left a bit to be desired.

This day at least started out bright. Charly took us first to the lower canyon, however the steam from the coal plant on the hill above sufficiently blocked the sun from view. We meandered through the canyon admiring the twisted and curves, the striations and colors - hoping the steam would drift away and the sun would shine in on us. And finally our patience paid out, the sun streamed into the canyon reflecting off the walls and sand, to create that wonderful glowing effect I had so wanted to see in the previous slot canyons I had adventured in - that I had witnessed in Bryce.


Around mid-day, we made our way to the upper canyon and the circus that ensues there. Seems most people head to the upper canyon - this is were the iconic images of Antelope Canyon are taken. The undulating walls, the shafts of lights streaming from above, the open passages. But because of these images, people flock to this spot to huddle around each shaft of light as the tour guides throw dirt in the air to make the shaft of light stand out against the walls. There was yelling, screaming, pushing, and a bit of shoving. I somehow got mingled into the crowd and as the party ensued, I glanced around hoping his calm frame could pull me out of the madness. I finally broke free of the crowd and made my own way quietly following Charly through the canyon.


Later in the afternoon, we made out way back to the lower canyon for a few last minute shots. A tribal member, wandered through the canyon, playing his guitar - serenading the few photographers, exploring this less visited canyon. It seemed to add a special touch to the afternoon, the day, and my trip.

No comments: