Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Roadtrip: Spring 2007


March 23-April 1


There I stood on the overpass leading the commuters from the train to their cars. I watched as the Sounder disappeared down the tracks, thinking about doing the same. I was lost in the idea of traveling on, away from the city and my daily grind. Where would the train take me? Where could it take me? I shook myself from my thoughts to follow the rest of the commuters fighting their ways to their cars.

That was in October. From there, I told Michael I needed a vacation - to somewhere - in the Spring. March would be nice. Somewhere I had never been before. Sadly, after changing jobs, he didn't have the vacation time so wouldn't be able to join me. However, he encouraged me to go on my own, explore the world and have a wonderful adventure. But where to go?

Should I take the train to Montana as a friend suggested? I could play in the snow-covered hills outside of Glacier National Park. But then I really got to thinking. If I head somewhere in March, I would want to head south - to warmer climates. Get some sun, warm up the bones. South was where I turned. After reading and article on Glen Canyon and the Grand Staircase-Escalante area, my mind was made up. I would tour Southern Utah & Northern Arizona for a week near the end of March, a place I had never before ventured into.

In the following days, I will tell you all about my adventures in the prairies, canyons, and plateuas of Utah and Arizona. I saw Golden Eagles larger than life, more Mule Deer than I could count, and a Bobcat running across the road. I made new friends (including a black kitty who kept me warm on one very cold night). I hiked into canyons of all shapes and sizes, over slick rock and through arches and drove over 3000 miles round trip.

So come back for further installments of the fun and fascinating RoadTrip: Spring 2007.

No comments: