Monday, October 19, 2009

Petrified Forest



10/6/09

In the deserts of eastern Arizona is a magical colorful place - Petrified Forest National Park. We were hurtling down the interstate late in the day as we came upon the park that straddles the highway. Since we weere herre to explore, we decided to make a quick drive through as much of the park as we could with at least one stop for a nature hike.

Our first stop overlooked the painted desert unit of the park. I was immediately struck by how much the colors reminded me of the Painted Hills in Eastern Oregon. In the late afternoon sun, they seemed to radiate with color. We hastened our way along to our next stop, pueblan ruins and petroglyphs. Our view was of flat prairie extending seemingly forever. I felt uneasy the first time I had ever seen the prairie-lands in their immensity. I grew up in the forest-cloistered northwest where our next view was always obstructed by another tree. As I lived longer in the midwest and its prairies, I began to recognize the beauty in them. This afternoon, the extensive views were relaxing, a soothing presence to my soul.

Up to this point, we hadn't seen much of the petrified forest but as we drove along we began to see the ancient logs, the wood fibers replaced by silicone particles lying about the eroded hills. It was here we decided to get out of the car for a stroll along a pathway through eroded hills that slowly exposed the fallen trees. The lowering sun cast dramatic shadows along the hillsides highlighting the cracks and crevices, exposing trees still embedded in the sandstone. It was a fascinating place that deserves more than the little time we devoted to it. I can only hope we are able to return soon.


No comments: