Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I think I've been here before . . .


Rampart Ridge Loop 6/3/07 5 miles


Last year, Michael & I made yet another attempt at the westside section of the Wonderland Trail. We started out at Longmire and made our way up Rampart Ridge, slowly climbing through the trees with gravity and the extra weight of our packs pulling us back down the hill. Once we made it to the top of the ridge, we knew we were well on our way into our trip.


As the Nisqually entrance opened the previous month, I thought it might be a good trip to head back to the Rampart Ridge and continue on through the loop as it traveled the ridge and back down to the Longmire meadows.


Once we hit the trail, the feel of our previous trip flooded back into my mind - the slow pace up the hill, the gravity pulling us back, the trees stretching above our heads, the breeze slipping through the branches. I could also remember the sense of excitement of starting out on a new adventure. And here we were, at the top of the ridge. Instead of heading north, this time we turned west and sauntered along the ridgeline to fabulous views of Mt Rainier and Longmire Village with the Nisqually River, that was a raging torrent in November now a sliver through the rock connecting the two views.


I love hiking at Mt Rainier and look forward to a summer filled with mountain hikes.


No comments: