Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hiking with Olympia


Her dewy brown eyes stared at me from the computer screen. A face so sweet, I couldn’t resist. This was the one: the puppy who would be my companion through city walks and forest trails. She had been aptly named Goldie by the shelter that had placed the photo so prominently on the web, but I would later name her Olympia – my little regal goddess. And she would become my constant companion on my travels. They would be as much her travels as they were mine.

She’s now 8 years old and has started to become lame. Far too young for my precious friend to stay locked away at home while I enjoy my hikes. But all too often, I must leave her behind for the hike is too long or too strenuous for her poor ailing legs to handle. It kills me to again look into her brown eyes now puddles of sorrow and tell her she has to stay home. She’ll sit by the door as I leave hoping I’ll remember that I had forgotten to take her.

A lot can be said about the will of a dog. Dogs have traveled cross-country to rejoin owners they had been separated from. They have stayed by owners who have been injured or killed in the wild and leave only as rescuers drag them away. Recently I had the opportunity to hike; a quiet trail surrounded by vine maples and hemlock. So as not to leave her at home mourning my disappearance, I brought her along with me thinking I’d leave her in the car – she’d have a ride at least. But after I reached the trailhead I let her out of the car, thinking I could loop her leash under her haunches for some extra support.

We hiked up hills, over streams, around rocks and logs, and down through forest. We stopped often to rest, relaxing in the tranquility. By the end of our 4 miles, I had yet to give her extra support. She limped a little, but as I looked into her eyes I knew. Taking her on this hike had made her happy. Her dewy brown eyes smiled up at me as she asked for help back into the car.

No comments: