Tuesday, May 03, 2016

A Mother's Touch


Mother's Day.

It's been 25+ years since I thought of celebrating this holiday by giving my mom flowers or an African Violet or an owl figurine. Mom died far too early in her life and mine.

As a young woman heading out toward life, I missed her presence, her advice and her love. I was only 24 when she died from complications due to Type 2 Diabetes. She was 57. I had just gotten married to a man I did not love and he knew. He demonstrated his frustration through his fists.

But Mom didn't raise me to be a punching bag. I knew it. He knew it. And after an emergency room visit with friends we were divorced. Thoughts turned to returning home to the safety of family as at the time I was in Ohio. But Mom would have wanted me to follow my dreams and so I stayed in school and became an educator.

Not liking the public school system, I taught college level courses and, later, extending education for adults. And when I look at what I teach (hiking, navigation, photography, the natural world) I see her influence.

Mom taught me about the natural world, life cycles, love of being in nature and a vision of the art in everyday life. She taught me to look at the more minuscule world even as I gazed in wonder at the grand views. And she showed me that helping others find their view is the most rewarding. 

And so, without even really thinking about it I will be celebrating Mother's Day in the world she taught me to love and to share. This Mother's Day I'll be backpacking with friends and new hikers sharing my love of this natural world with them. 

Thank you mom. I miss you.

No comments: