Monday, September 24, 2012

The right time, The wrong light



When it comes to Photoshop, I've heard it all. Is that real? Did you Photoshop that? Using Photoshop is lying. I especially love the last one. Since when is photography not lying or distorting what is seen. We compose in camera, use certain lenses and filters to show the viewer only what we want them to see. I could go into a dissertation as to the similarities between digital post-processing & analog post-processing, but wouldn't want to bore you.

Saying that, I have one confession to make. Yes, I use Photoshop.

I use Photoshop to enhance images. There are not many images I create that are not put through my Photoshop workflow. And since I shoot in RAW I really need to have a workflow in digital post-processing.

Most images don't need much work. Others however, as shot are not what I envisioned as my final image. I knew at shooting that I would be adjusting colors, enhancing contrast, removing that little distraction I just can't seem to get out the frame.

When I showed up for a sunset shoot near Eunice Lake in Mt Rainier National Park, I had grand hopes of glorious alpenglo on The Mountain.

What I got was drap.

Boring, even.

So I knew, when I got home I'd be playing a little in Photoshop. And play is what I did.

I had taken several exposures for the light tones, dark tones & mid tones in the scene knowing I would blend them later. This process often brings out the colors. But my image was still a little lackluster. Not at all what I had wanted.

Now in the old days, I could have added a colored graduated density filter to add more color to the mountain. Now, with Photoshop, I don't need all those expensive camera filters. Photoshop has them pre-programmed for me.

I chose a nice purple lens filter for the mountain.

I like purple.

And it enhanced the mountain to a vision. A piece of art.

I was able to take drab light and still make a nice image.

And now you know the truth.

No comments: