Monday, September 24, 2012

A Hike for my Mother



The Canadian Rockies. My father was drawn to the monolithic mountains between British Columbia and Alberta. Every few years, he'd pack up his "4 girls" and head north in search of photos & wolverines. My mother's searches in the Rockies were far more simplistic. She really only wanted 3 things to make her vacation a true vacation from all the cleaning & cooking.

A day fishing without her squabbling daughters, an amazing blue tartan skirt, and a hike to one of the teahouses near Lake Louise.

Dad was able to give her the day of fishing, at least one a trip. The skirt she saved for months to buy. But the trip to the teahouse was made.

So on a recent trip to the Canadian Rockies in pursuit of my own photos, I decided to make a trip for my mother to not just one teahouse, but both of them. The trails interconnect to make a wonderful trip through forest, past lakes, over glacial moraines and views of mountains close enough to touch.

The Lake Agnes teahouse is perched on a ridge overlooking both Lake Agnes' turquoise blue waters and the views down the Bow Valley. I could almost feel my mother as I climbed the last of the steps and hear her gasp at the beauty unfolding before me - golden larches reflected in the smooth lake surface, mountain peaks towering into the sky all around. Tears flowed as I took several images of the lake and reflections, knowing mom would have been sitting on the porch with her cup of tea an murder mystery, patiently waiting.

After composing myself, I hiked around the lake and over the Beehive to catch the trail to the Plain of Six Glaciers and the teahouse there.

By now the afternoon sun was beating down on me and I knew mom would have been struggling against the heat as I was. But I continued on, looking forward to the cup of tea I would have for my mother and maybe a treat? The trail was dusty and the meadow dry as I entered the courtyard, an assemblage of natural pavers leading the way to the two-story structure.

Sitting on the balcony, I chose the ice wine tea. Not something my mother would have chosen, but she would have appreciated the novelty. And perusing the menu, a Gluten Free brownie? Oh yes, I would get a treat as well. The waitress brought out my tea cup, a lovely little porcelain type cup with pansies. Mom loved pansies. I felt her smile and her hug as I sipped my tea and watched the afternoon slip by.


No comments: