Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Revisiting Photos




There are times where I just can not make myself dispose of an image. Even if it doesn't thrill me at the time, I wonder if there is a way I can "play" with it later to make the image more interesting and affective. I will see potential in an image and save them for later. So I tuck them away for a cold and dark wintery evening. After a blog post by Moose Peterson about converting what he thought were lackluster images from Monument Valley into Black and White, a light went on in my head.

I flipped through my southwest folders looking for images I had put aside. I may have already played with them but they just didn't work well for my eye. They seemed dull, the geologic striations blended together, the sky was just there - it didn't pop. But I held onto the images in hopes that I would find a way to make them look as I felt was I was shooting. And I did.

Using the Black & White layer in Photoshop CS4 and the preset for high contrast blue filter, I found that the marvelous geologic striations became more pronounced & even took on a life of their own. The wispy clouds in the sky became noticeable. In the end, I came away with an image I am extremely happy with - one that captures the essence of the place.


No comments: