Monday, March 05, 2012

Finding Inspiration


I recently went on an evening photo shoot with friends at the Pike Place Market & Post Alley in Seattle. I love the lights of Seattle. And I love Seattle nights - although they can be bitterly cold in the winter. But the wind & cold would not deter us as we explored the street & neon signs near Seattle's iconic market. We had postponed our trip once before because of weather that didn't turn out to be so bad, so we weren't going to be fooled again.

The sunset glowed as it set behind the cloud-shrouded Olympic Mountains and we lined up for the quintessential image of the neon coffee cup and the Public Market Sign along Pine Street. A crowd gathered to catch the sunset behind the signs. Then we stopped for a cup of hot coffee to warm up our hands. Did I mention it was cold.

From here we could explore Post Alley and Pike Place Market as the night progressed and night lights created a different Seattle. I was taking a picture of the Post Alley sign above my head when I lowered my gaze to the alley across the street. My gaze stopped at the little corner cafe, golden light illuminating the sidewalk and outside seating area. The Edward Hopper painting Nighthawks suddenly came to mind - A "simple" painting of people sitting in a corner cafe in the evening, the lights of the cafe lighting up the city street outside.

For me this is the image that made my cold fingers & nose worth it.

No comments: