Wednesday, October 09, 2013

There is more to Life . . .


To be honest, I've felt a little burnt out by the time August rolled around. Every weekend since April has been filled with one hike or event after another. Not just one day of the weekend but the whole weekend. My apartment was cluttered from lack of cleaning. My nerves were raw. My psyche, in need of healing.

I've had a full summer and wonder, what was in it for me?

I led hikes for gracious hikers but hardly a hike went of without some issue to frazzle my nerves and question my own decisions.

It put me in a tailspin. Did I really want to lead? If all I got was grief, why would I want to?

But wait, was all I got on the hikes I led, grief? Was there no enjoyment? Was there nothing for me? I became disheartened and left for my vacation in California with a heavy heart.

My travels took me to Point Reyes National Seashore, a place that is perfect for a person looking for a little isolation for time to reflect. Upon arriving, I stopped in at the visitor center to get a few maps and information before heading out to get the lay of the land. Fog shrouded the bluffs overlooking the ocean. I love hiking in the fog when my brain is overwhelmed by life.

My first hike took me to the most northern point of the park. I hiked out with a couple from San Francisco but soon left them behind as they photographed the elk. I found myself hiking alone in the scrubby vegetation, fog blocking the views, but I was fine as I let my brain relax.

Two days later, I started off on a different trail that a fellow visitor told me looked just like a scene from The Hobbit. The bonus of this hike, she said, was coming to the end of the trail, a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. I left early enough on the hike that I startled a bobcat while it was waiting for breakfast. I hiked through thick forest arching over the trail, like a scene out of The Hobbit (she wasn't lying) and came out of the trees to a cliff overlooking the Pacific Oceans. My bonus was that I was the only one there.

I sat down and listened to the waves wash against the sands below. In. Out. I closed my eyes and let my breathing relax. In. Out. Calm.

Why is it we are calm on vacation yet when we get back we lose that calmness and every promise we make to ourselves to bring back less stress?

I came back to another hike with a complaining hiker. And although the hiker iritated me, I tried to keep that promise I made on vacation to not worry about the things I couldn't change.

No comments: