Monday, April 08, 2013

Staying Motivated



How do you stay motivated when you have one job to finish for a client but a personal project keeps knocking on your brain? No, really, I'm looking for insight.

Last month I photographed the wedding of a daughter of friends of mine. I usually tell people I will photograph the odd wedding but it better dang well BE odd. But these are hiking buddies of mine and fun to be around. As it turns out, so is their daughter. It was an odd wedding (the mother of the bride, bride, and maid of honor posing in their Spanx should be enough to tell you that.) The wedding was fun and I was happy with the images I made.

Then it came time to edit them - throw out the ickies, color correct, correct exposure, crop, make grandma not look so orange (someone really should talk to her about her choice of makeup).

I also did a short road trip to photograph waterfalls. Then a trip to the beach. Then a couple of trips to photograph the cherry blossoms.

All of these were fresh in my mind and I itched to sort through them and play. But I had weeding pictures to work on.

Oh wait! What a cool game on my laptop. But I had wedding pictures to work on.

Finally, a month later I handed off the finished product. And I wonder, could have I been more motivated and gotten the images to the bride & groom sooner?

So I ask you, how do you keep yourself going?

No comments: