Monday, September 29, 2008

What not to do with the Stomach Flu

Aspen Grove

Cascade River Rd, 9/20/08, 6 miles, 1500 elevation

There I was, in the midst of low-lying clouds and autumn colors, hunched over my arms holding my stomach as if I hugged harder I could hold the few contents of my stomach in place. "Oh please, not here" I thought. I couldn't imagine coming across someone else's sick along a trail (or in this case roadside) while hiking and had no desire to subject anyone to mine. And it was a matter of pride. I had been wanting to hike to Cascade Pass for several years and here was my opportunity. I was NOT going to let a little thing like a frail body subjected to a stomach bug ruin my outing. Plus this was to be my graduation hike for the Mountaineers' Conditioning Hike Series.

I had been dealing with my stomach bug for 2 weeks prior to the hike, which I kept reminding my sick stomach was scheduled long before it felt ill. But on Friday I was feeling better - maybe not 100% but better and looked forward to this fabled journey to Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm. We got to the rendezvous point to meet the rest of the group and found out that the road had been closed 3 miles from the trailhead, so our hike would not reach Sahale Arm but would be able to make Cascade Pass. Either that or we could hike another trail in the area. As the clouds drifted through the valley, we decided to do the road walk then continue up to Cascade Pass and decide from there to go on or turn back.

Autumn was just touching the leaves of the forest as our group started up the Cascade River Road. The clouds hanging low on the hillsides. I had warned our leader that I would taking it slow, but even I was surprised how leaden my feet were. Sweat was dripping off my brow at our first break and we hadn't even started climbing yet. At a mile and a half the stomach cramps started and my feet were more sluggish - I was constantly wiping the sweat off my face. By mile 2, I knew what Michael had known an half mile back, I was finished. Both he and the leader agreed to allow me to continue at least to the actual trailhead to discuss our carpooling options before heading back down the hill.

By mile 2 1/2 I was doubled over praying I could make to the pit-toilet at the trailhead. I finally met up with Michael, who hurried ahead to talk to the group, and the rest of our companions and apologized for being so slow. After hugs and goodbyes all around, Michael and I watched as the group disappeared into the trees and clouds. I did stop by the toitie, but luckily my sickness urges had subsided. Michael grabbed my cold hand and we walked side-by-side back to our car.

On the way down, I began to notice the colors in the growth next to the road and the spiderwebs strung with dew. I was disappointed that I had to turn back on this trip, but relieved that at least I had Michael to walk home with.


Sparkles

No comments: