Sunday, June 22, 2008

Rangers Lie


Glacier Lake, 6/21/08, 4.5 miles, 800 elevation

Every year Michael & I travel south to Randle. Sandwiched between Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens, Randle was my uncle's favorite vacation spot and at times the family vacation became an epic adventure filled with friends and family. The family vacation was one of the traditions we kept intact after he died years ago. So every year, during the same weekend in June family and friends still gather together to fish, boat, hike, sightsee, and just sit around exchanging BS.

Michael & I are the hikers of the family, my sis will often join us and this year another friend and our cousin joined us. Now first, we had talked with the ranger at the Cowlitz Station to find out, in this late snow year, what trails are open for a nice little day-hike. The second thing to understand is the cousin does one hike a year and that is generally the extent of her exercise.

The trail, we were told, follows along a creek for about 2 miles and is a nice stroll through the forest. Yeah, right. Normally, this hike wouldn't have been a problem, but with our cousin along for the walk it became a fearful trek. We were all concerned for her well-being as she trudged 1st down one hill and then up the next. I could imagine her cursing me under her breathe as she slowly moved her feet up the hill as it grew steeper and steeper as we progressed.

But we finally made it to the lake and my cousin turned to me and said, "I forgive you." After that, we trundled back down the hill. Back in camp, the family listened while she told them the reason why they should never go hiking with us - at least not on a new trail.


No comments: