Friday, April 06, 2007

Highway 12


3/26/07-3/27/07


While planning my trip, several friends mentioned they loved the drive along Highway 12 through Boulder and Escalante. It is said to be an extremely scenic roadway. I would agree with them.

I left Capitol Reef early in the afternoon to head toward Boulder Mountain, a long snow-covered ridge line that enticed me from the plateau in the park. With several overlooks, I was able to get a somewhat birds-eye view of the sagebrush covered land below with the cliffs looking so much smaller and less spectacular than when I sat below them gazing up. Along the way, I noticed several signs depicting trail heads that I knew I'd have to come back and visit to hike and explore. So many trails, so little time. Already I was frustrated with my inability to stay longer - I would have to designate base camps the couple of trips so I could explore these areas more deeply.

After passing through the town of Boulder with a quick stop at the Anasazi State Park to view the pueblo ruins there, the road took me along a ridge line so sharp I immediately slowed down in fear of propelling myself off the side. It would have been a long way down. After a night at Lower Calf Creek Falls that I intend making a separate entry for, I continued along to the Kiva Koffeehouse, which luckily had opened earlier than normal. I needed to recharge my batteries (both internal and electrical) and an hour sitting on their deck, sipping iced tea, watching the ravens drift on the air currents, and listening to the breeze in the trees replenished my energy.
My joy with wide open spaces soon came jumping through my heart. Before me lay slickrock formations from long ago hardened sand dunes. Would I be able to stay here forever? There were more places for me to go and see and started out this day feeling ill. I wanted to make camp and sleep as long a s possible. So I left this treeless wonderland and continued on. Tonight I would be in Bryce.
From mountains and valleys to slickrock and prairie, Highway 12 became a journey I look forward to retaking.

No comments: