Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Bryce Canyon


3/26/07-3/27/07


A fairy wonderland. That is what I thought as I stood on the overlook above Bryce Canyon, the hoodoos and clouds reflecting the light of the setting sun. I couldn't wait until morning when the sun would make them glow. But it was the canyon floor that beckoned. I spotted a trail below and thought, that's where I'm going tomorrow - down into the canyon and on that trail.


I greeted the morning with excitement; the early evening and orange juice seemed to have chased the developing cold away, or at least kept it at bay. I had scoped out my sunrise spot the evening before and headed there to watch the hoodoos glow with the reflecting sunlight. Sometime in the evening, the wind had picked up which made the already cold morning even more brisk. The weather report had predicted snow that evening and the clouds rolled through quickly. I wouldn't be there to watch the snow fall into the canyon, but I was going to go down in the canyon hoping to be out before the weather turned real nasty.


After figuring out the best loop through the canyon, I descended in awe at the towers as they ascended overhead. The wind immediately cut, the sun seemed to break free of the rolling clouds, and the clatter of the crowds on the rims diminished. It was the warmth I had felt on the plateau; the silence, the comfort. I was at peace here. This is what home feels like. There was no hurry, so I meandered along the canyon floor until the clouds started rolling back in and as I climbed my way out the wind buffeted me about.


It was time for me to go and true to my word, this became my mos favorite place yet. I had no doubts that tomorrow would show me another favorite place, but for right now, this one would do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like this one the best - the lighting's *fantastic*
~ Cliff