Monday, January 16, 2017

Firsts



The snow lightly falling through the forest.

Snowflakes on your eyelashes.

The soft crunch of the snow under your snowshoes.

The biting cold numbing your nose, your ears, your cheeks.

Life is filled with firsts that are not soon forgotten. Do you remember your first snowshoe?

I do - I climbed up Mt Catherine near Snoqualmie Pass to learn how to glissade and self-arrest for a climb up Mt St Helens. It was a tough go for me but I ended the day satisfied that I had learned new skills and eager for more.

Just as memorable is being with a child as they experience their first snowshoe.

On January 1st of this year, I accompanied my sister and her granddaughter on her first snowshoe.

We meandered along Wenatchee Crest off Blewett Pass. The wind carried falling snow through the trees and coated our hats. No views were to be had, but snowball fights and snow angels were aplenty. Giggles and laughter floated through the air with the snow.

I'm sure she'll remember her first snowshoe - I know I will.




No comments: