Thursday, December 31, 2015

My 12 Favorite Images from 2015


What an amazing year 2015 was. I spent most of the year touring the various state parks of Washington, research for my book. Visiting new parks and old favorites opened my eyes to just how remarkable my already beloved Washington truly is. With every park, I became more inspired to research more, go further and share what I've experienced with my friends. Here are 12 of a few of my favorite images from the year, although it was hard to narrow it down. (They're not in any particular order.)



1. Day Lily in Rain - This lovely lily was found at Peace Arch State Park in Blaine. It had been a pretty dry summer here in Washington but when I reached the U.S. Canadian border I discovered where all of our rain went. It was a fun afternoon running around photographing rain splattered flowers in the gardens.


2. Joy - Weekends spent at the beach with my cousins is always a joy. Here three of them are gleefully jumping in the waves at Grayland State Park.


3. Umatilla Rock at Twilight - While exploring Dry Falls/Sun Lakes State Park, I admired this view of Umatilla Rock reflected in Vic Meyer Lake. Later, Zillah and I made our way back to the shores and waited for the vibrant blue of twilight.


4. Cama Beach Cabins - I spent a quiet weekend in a cabin along the beach at Cama Beach State Park. At twilight I ventured out for an image of lit cabin windows against the royal blue sky.



5. 3-on-3 - This summer Kent sponsored a 3-on-3 basketball tournament for all ages. One court was reserved for a small group paraplegic players who gave the game their all. Even more impressive was the one woman who played with and against the guys. She never backed down, never gave up and had the respect of her fellow players.


6. Sand Dollar in Sea Foam - Beaches have been an inspiration in my life since my youngest days. I search out the beach for serenity and to remind myself of my place in this world. Small vignettes of sea creatures and sea life are easy for me to bring home to give me peace in my normal life.


7. Kayaks on the Lewis River - Sometimes special places come from the most unexpected places. Paradise Point State Park is no exception. Located under I-5, one would wonder if there is anything photographic here. But hike the trail up river and you come to this overlook. It's a reminder to always keep your eyes and creativity open no matter what.


8. Meadowrue - Meadowrue is a delicate forest flower with male and female plants (left is female, right is male) growing close to each other in shaded areas. The female flower reminds me of fireworks and the male flowers remind me Chinese lanterns. The trouble with photographing the flowers is that they quiver at even the slightest thought of a breeze and since they grow in low light, they can be difficult to capture.


9. Contemplation - Hiking with my sister this summer on our training to climb Mt St Helens, we hiked out to Pratt Lake. It was one of those days that was just perfect - perfect light, perfect weather, perfect hiking partners. I was able to photograph my sister looking out over the calm lake, contemplating her coming climb (I didn't make it).


10. All Lines lead to Mt Rainier - There wasn't a lot of snow this past winter at mt Rainier, but there was enough for a snowshoe or two in the upper meadows. The winds had carved beautiful curving lines the led straight to our state's mountain. Who could resist the photo opportunity?


11. Sunset over the Palouse - With the dry hot summer we had, wildfires scorched hundreds of acres of tress and far too many homes and businesses. And the smoke was devastating to Eastern Washington with several days where the air quality was so bad as to be deadly for people with breathing problems. Even by October, the smoke still hadn't cleared but then sunsets like this only happen when the air quality is bad. Good tidings from bad.


12. In The Rays - Finally, after so many time driving by the Oregon Coast Aquarium I was able to visit this past Thanksgiving. What a remarkable place - go if you ever have the opportunity. While walking through the underwater passages, I captured this Ray swimming through the rays of the sun. Makes me smile every time I see it.

On to 2016. May your New Year be filled with adventure and beauty. H


No comments: