Monday, August 31, 2015

How not to be a Ramblin Rose, Part 1


Ramblin' rose, ramblin' rose
Why you ramble, no one knows
Wild and wind-blown, that's how you've grown
Who can cling to a ramblin' rose?
 - Noel Sherman and Joe Sherman

I love Nat King Cole. His sweet and silky voice makes me weak in the knees and sends shivers along my spine. His is the voice that soothes the savage breast.

After sitting through a photographer's presentation a while back, I thought I could use a little Nat King Cole. I was frustrated, angry and felt betrayed.

Why?

Because the photographer rambled about himself and how wonderful he was for two stinking hours. That is two hour of my time that I will never get back. Nor will I ever get the money I paid for this frustrating honor back into my pocket.

Money and time lost. For nothing.

Have you ever had that experience? Eagerly heading into a presentation and then getting to the end, the presenter is answering questions and you're wondering what was even the point? There wasn't a single statement throughout the whole presentations that you could cling to and you begin to wonder why you wasted your time.

You didn't waste your time. The presenter wasted your time. And shame on them.

A rambling presentation isn't just damaging to audience members, but it's damaging to the presenter also.

When you are speaking to a group of other photographers, you are representing your photography brand. Which is you. You are your brand. You are the photographer. You are the one with your vision. And the folks who have come to listen to you want to know about you and your vision.

Who are you? What is your inspiration? How did you get to where you are?

Do you want to inspire? Or confuse? Please, tell me your answer is to inspire.

What inspiration do you want them to take with them as they leave? Answer this question and you are well on your way to being a solid speaker and not a rambling rose.

Remember back in school when you had to write an essay and the essay revolved around a certain thesis statement? Well, the answer to the inspiration question above will be your thesis for your speech. Yes, speeches have a "thesis statement." If you make every point in your speech connect to your thesis PLUS make every image you show and example of the point that links to your thesis you can become a successful speaker.

You can make people excited to listen to what you have to say. Dare I say maybe become a Nat King Cole and soothe your audience.

No comments: