Monday, December 29, 2014

My 12 favorite images of 2014

What a year it has been! Whew!

So much has happened in my little corner of the world. I've explored a few new places and several old favorites. Put a lot of miles on my boots and my tires. Started a few new chapters in my life including turning a personal project into a book project. To round out the year, I chose 12 of my favorite images (and it was a very difficult choice as I know I'm missing some). Enjoy!

And in no particular order . . .


1) Reflected Sunset, Capes Meares, OR - In January, I joined family on the Oregon Coast and they gladly allowed some time for me to photograph some very beautiful beach sunsets. On this night, sunset wasn't that spectacular but I was able to catch a little of the color reflected in the windows of the Cape Meares lighthouse for a unique sunset image.


2) Misty Mountains, North Cascades National Park, WA - This was one of those place I had been wanting to hike to for years and I finally got the chance with a group of Mountaineers. It was a misty day as we ventured up the trail to Cascade Pass but every now and then the clouds parted just enough. It's easy to see why this is one of the classic hikes in Washington.


3) Sunset under the Oaks, Elma, WA - A visit to my aunt's house this summer rewarded me with a pastel sky. I have always loved my aunt's oak trees and have photographed them often over the years. This time however, the result turned out perfect.


4) Apple Blossom, Fort Simcoe State Park, WA - While exploring Fort Simcoe this past spring I happened across this apple tree with just a few blossoms. What could be better for a sweet spring image? This may be the image I think of as spring rolls around again.


5) Cape Disappointment, Cape Disappointment State Park, WA - This is a story of patience and poor weather. I had already fallen on my tooshie, slipping on wet logs to get to a good vantage point. But looking at the waves crashing on the rocks, I knew the bruises would be worth it. I had already captured a few good images of the roiling sea when I spied the ship on the horizon moving slowly towards the point. I waited until the ship moved into position. Then carefully but quickly retreated back to the warmth of my car.


6) Beacon Rock at Sunrise, Beacon Rock State Park, WA - This is another case of patience paying off. This morning I watched as daylight progressed without the colors of a glorious sunrise, clouds obscured to eastern horizon. But noticing a break in the clouds, I waited. My hope was that a shaft of sun would strike the face of Beacon Rock. Sure enough it did and I jumped for joy.


7) Leaf on Windowsill, Oysterville, WA - Sweet memories. Oysterville holds so very many childhood memories for me. Of summer days spent staying with my grandmother in her little trailer just out of town. Walking to town, playing on the beach - lazy days of exploring as only a child could. When I visited Oysterville this year, I stopped by the church. The church where my uncle married (and I was a candle lighter). Sunlight streaked throughout the church and as I explored the corners and memories I spied this little dried leaf perched in the sill.


8) Window Reflection, Seattle, WA - I do love street photography. There's an element to the art that makes me concentrate on the small details of the world. Here I was sitting outside a cafe and noticed this man's face reflected perfectly in the window. This may be my favorite from the year. An image where everything ties together.


9) Mt Shuksan, an Alpine Tarn and Starburst, Mt Baker NRA, WA - I knew what I wanted. I wanted a starburst over a ridge with a tarn in the foreground and Mt Shuksan in the background. So to get what I wanted I hiked along Artist's Point until I found the setting and waited for magic to happen.


10) Karen's Sunset, Gifford Pinchot NF, WA - I think this might have been the saddest day of my year - the day I found out my friend Karen Sykes who had been lost on Mt Rainier would not be coming home to us. My cousin and drove up to this viewpoint of the mountain she loved for sunset. Her absence is felt throughout the hiking community.


11) Elowah Falls, Columbia River Gorge, OR - Rushing water, green moss, gorges and cliffs - really what's not to love?


12) Abstract in Water, Poulsbo, WA - beautiful abstracts in water. Whenever I'm out kayaking, at some point I focus my lens on the reflections in the water to capture the dancing light and colors.


Bonus Image - Fallen Barn, Choteau, MT - While on my annual trek to visit friends in Montana, I spied this old barn in the middle of the field. I wanted to photograph it. And knew that to capture what I saw I would need my telephoto lens. Maybe all those college classes in photography paid off after all.

No comments: