Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Photographing Waterfalls



Someone had once told me tht waterfalls give off negative ions which gives a person feelings of comfort and happiness. As a waterfall enthusiast, I can attest to my feelings of joy when I encounter even the smallest of waterfalls along the trail. So I'm wondering how many of you also feel wonderful when near a waterfall?

But my happy doesn't leave when I leave a waterfall - it lingers with me. Do you think back on the scene with a smile on your face? Do you pull out your camera to photograph the waterfall, hoping to keep it with you just that much longer? I know I do.

Of all my subject files, "Waterfalls" has the most images in it. I have found that I dedicate a lot of time with waterfalls and I'm still working out the process. Approaching each waterfall (even if I've been there a dozen times) anew.

But I have noticed that all I really need when photographing waterfalls is 2 things - Timing and Time.

1. Timing

This can be seasonal, the day or the time of day.

Seasonal - Here in the Pacific Northwest, waterfalls can run with high volume during the spring run-off and during autumn rains. The late summer brings a lesser flow. Winter months bring snow and ice. Each season has its own charm and depending on the effect you want, time your visits for that effect.

The Day - As waterfalls take on different personalities with the seasons, they can take on personalities on different days. A bright sunny day makes a waterfall difficult with harsh highlights and dark shadows, which in turn can make the photographer a grumpy person. An overcast even rainy day smooths out the harsh light and makes for a more relaxed atmosphere for both the waterfall and the photographer. For tips on protecting your gear on the wet days go to this post.

The Time of Day - If you so happen to be out photographing waterfalls on a sunny day, try timing your visit for the early morning or late afternoon. The golden hour is great for more than just beautiful landscapes. The harsh light is reduced during these periods and images can come out glowing.

2. Time

Now all you need is some time. Be patient, wait it out, and keep working the scene.

Sometimes patience is a virtue, like waiting for a long exposure. (Have a sturdy tripod, cable or remote release, neutral density filters and camera protection). Long exposures are ideal for waterfalls to create that beautiful silky water. But it could be several seconds to several minutes to get the image. To help with longer exposures, try moving your ISO to the camera's lowest setting, close down your aperture and add a neutral density filter.

Patience is also needed when the wind is blowing which happens a lot near waterfalls. Windblown branches can create a distracting blur in your images. You might have to make a couple of images when the breeze isn't blowing much to have as little of the motion blur as possible. Also windblown mist can blow onto your lens so you'll need to wipe down the lens between images.

Finally, play with the waterfall. Zoom in to a feature - does it splash off the rocks or trickle over them? Go low and use leading lines of the rapids draw the eye up to the waterfall. Frame it with surrounding vegetation.

And now, go out an have some fun photographing waterfalls.

No comments: