Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Training all Day


Summer has finally hit the Pacific Northwest. Or at least a little pre-summer tease of warmth and sunshine. It really has been the warmest, sunniest spring I remember here in the Puget Sound area for quite some time.

Flowers are blooming.

Streams are running high from the snow melt.

And with the melting snow, trail tread becomes exposed and people hit the trails. Including me.

Yes, I have a summer planned full of hiking and photoing, nights under the stars and sunrises over alpine lakes.

But I also have something else planned.

Each year I try to do something new. Something beyond my comfort zone. Something that stirs a bit of fear in the pit of my stomach. One year it was a solo road trip to the Southwest. Another it was climbing Asgaard Pass to the enchanting Enchantment Lakes.

This year, I will be riding the fabled Seattle to Portland bike ride - 200 miles, 2 days.

So with the flowers and the melting snow, I will be out huffing and puffing on long training rides hoping my butt doesn't go numb and willing myself to make it through the jitters. I know, if I can make it to the starting line, I will make it to Portland.

After all, the apprehension is always worse.

The image is from that first solo road trip to the Southwest - a rare quite moment in Antelope Canyon.

No comments: