Saturday, May 12, 2012

Lyle Cherry Orchards



The vision was in my head. I knew what I wanted in my photograph, but would I be able to catch it? I knew that from where I stood, the sunset would be truly amazing. The real question was did I have the fortitude to wait for it? One more frigid blast of wind gave me my answer - I would come back some other time.

I had climbed to the Lyle Cherry Orchards late in the afternoon with the plan of sitting & waiting for sunset after exploring the "orchards." Ok, there are really only about 3 cherry trees left of the century old orchard, but the views they have a stunning. High above the Columbia River looking east towards The Dalles, a homesteader with a great eye for the dramatic planted a cherry orchard. Today the homestead is nothing more than a clearing with a few trees left, the surrounding oak forest fast encroaching upon the scene. (OK, not that quickly, not as we would judge.)

I had picked the spot for my perfect sunset image. But I had misjudged both my time and my perseverance to endure the icy wind.. I tried, I really did. But that last blast shook the desire right out of me - I wanted something hot to eat & I wanted it now! Forget the sunset & forget hiking down in the dark. I rounded a switchback & stretched out before me was a golden light over the bench below, filtered by the clouds. I quickly shot a few images then continued my hike down towards hot food.

Maybe I didn't need to stay for sunset after all.

No comments: