Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A Northwest Winter



It's been a pretty sucky winter here in the Northwest. I am sure there are folks out there who are loving the warm and sunny days, but let's face it. Warm and sunny days do not bring snow to our mountains. Many of our ski slopes are bare - embarrassingly bare. The type of bare that makes your eye's pop wide as the guy in the next campsite swings his trailer door wide open to let his dog run free as well as his parts.

What I'm getting at here is that while it's ok to live your life in the nude - it's the unexpected exposure that can be a bit, well, uncomfortable. And that's how it feel in the Northwest right now. Our mountains are unintentionally bare.

We should have piles of snow covering our plants and hordes of happy snow-frolickers playing to their hearts' content in our winter wonderland. I'm pretty sure while we're looking to the Northeast with envy, they are looking at us with the same longing.

And I think somewhere my mind thought "head east not-so-young photographer lady" to get the snowy photos you want. So east I went, to Mt Spokane.

There I was met with . . . the same bare slopes as I found in the Cascades. Oh well. Time to make the best of a not so amazing situation.

There are approximately 100 miles of trails on Mt Spokane and I hiked a very small fraction - a nice little loop trail through a forest with several stands of larch (look for the beautiful spots of yellow in the fall) and a climb to the summit. Most of the year you can drive to the summit and the lodge that's there, but in the winter it's a hike to the top. A short hike of 4 miles round trip with a little less than 1400' of elevation gain. It's pretty steep though as you head straight up the hill in the snow. And in the winter, watch out for skiers.

Sadly I didn't see many skiers out and about as the slopes barely held any snow. And no snow encrusted trees as I was hoping for. The views were amazing. I was still able to find some small winter vignettes, but as important I began making plans for return trips.

Yep, trips. There are, as I mentioned, 100 miles worth of trail to explore.

This is a park where you can easily spend a weekend or more exploring the trails and views.

To get here: From I-90 take exit 287 for Argonne Rd. Head north on Argonne Rd for 6 miles, Argonne then turns into Bruce Rd continue on Bruce Rd for another 2 1/2 miles to a traffic circle. Take the first exit off the traffic circle (WA-206) and follow the road to Mt Spokane State Park.

No comments: