Monday, November 11, 2013

Saying Good-Bye




I have always had a hard time saying good-bye.Whenever it was time for a friend to head off into a new direction I would hem & haw, not wanting the warm and comfortable to change into something new and insecure. But time moves on as do friends and what was once an imagined future of trepidation becomes filled with new friends or even old friends made remade. But the sense of loss is there as we say good-bye.

Recently, a need to say good-bye to a friend who had been battling cancer raised again that sense of loss. I had worked with Ruth for several years and would often times seek out her soft and solemn soul. Any tragedy seemed less so as she calmly talked about her life and listened to mine. She always had a warm smile, a kind word and a comforting hug. And she believed in me, more than I believed in myself. She convinced me to present talks of history and photography for the National Park Service (a dream I had since I was a young girl).

When we were told that she doesn't have much time to live, those of us who had worked with her were crushed. The park seemed a little less bright and warm and I wondered what I could do to prove that her belief in my photography and presentations was not un-warranted. But there really isn't anything more I can do than what I have already done. She helped to fortify my foundations and I will continue on from here.

In this time of Thanksgiving, as I sit in the comfort of my family, I will be thankful that Ruth touched my life as she did. That she was able to lead a good life and will leave her friends with contentment in her heart. I know she will always be a part of mine and I will see a little bit of her smile reflected in my images.

Good-bye Ruth, and Thank You.

No comments: