Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Old Dogs




Greenwater Lakes, 2/15/10, 3.5 miles, 100 elevation

Over the years, I have watched with a heavy heart as my beloved Olympia has become lame. She had torn her ACLs and doesn't get around the house very easily. Every time we go on a hike, especially with Zillah, her big brown eyes watch with sadness as we head out the door without her. It breaks my heart each time we leave. She had been my hiking companion for years and now she stays home while I train another. But she is always there, happy to see me, when I return.

Today's hike would be a short one, only a couple of miles to the 1st lake and back. Since the girls had been locked up in the house for some time, we decided to bring them both along with us. My heart swelled as I watched Olympia, a grin on her face, lope after Zillah sniffing trees and ferns, marking their way. When we had to cross the creek on a high log bridge, Olympia led the way tail wagging. I left the trail to take pictures of a small waterfall, Olympia was right by my side as she had been for so many years.

But we knew when we got to the lake that Olympia had reached her limit. She began to walk more slowly and stayed closer to us than she had on the way in - a sure sign that she was hurting. At the car, she leaped into the back without hesitation but once we were home she barely moved. We had to carry her to bed when the time came. I nearly cried as I realized that this would be her last hike. It had to be, she is now longer the pup I brought home, but the old lady who will be at home to meet me.


No comments: