Sunday, August 10, 2008

In the Clouds, Naturally


Eunice Lake, 8/10/08, 5.5 miles, 500 Elevation

My first official trip as hike leader for the naturalist class. Luckily it was a short hike and I had a co-leader.

My small band of naturalist students met me at Lake Mowich where, in the midst of August, snow was still piled up next to the road and snow banks still lined the shoreline. But our way through the woods was snow free if a little cold. Being naturalists, we stopped often along the way to examine this plant or discuss that one. However, with the winter still clinging to Mt Rainier the plants weren't as plentiful as I had hoped.

We came back into the snow and entered low-lying clouds at the lake, but that wasn't going to deter us from a casual lunch. And for my first official trip, it went rather well.

No comments: