Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hot, Dry, and Dusty


Koppen Mtn Loop Attempt, 7/20/08, 10 miles, 2000 elevation

Admittedly, we shouldn't have been over east of the mountains after July 4th. The heat is just too much for. However, the hike we signed up for was actually near Mt Rainier - a much cooler destination, temperature-wise. But our original destination had to change due to impassable road conditions. So we found ourselves on the eastside of the mountains, hiking in the middle of July. I'm a westside girl, anything above 78 degrees and I'd rather sit in the A/C contributing to global warming.

Here I found myself in the Teanaway. I had been told there would be great views. I had been told there would be wildflowers. I had been told there would be water along the way. The reality of the situation was there were water and flowers along the 1st mile but beyond that, heat and dust dominated our day. We had a few good views, but along with those views came treacherous trails along precipitous traverses.

Some time after lunch, as we scrambled up rocks and talus, we the leaders stopped to discuss our options. One of our member was not in the least pleased in the trail conditions -especially the heights and requested he be allowed to turn back. A few offered to turn back with him as the rest let it be known that they would like to continue on the loop.

In the end wee stayed together as a group and turned back. It was on the way back that the heat finally took it's toll on my system. I started to get a bit incoherent, my feet didn't want to work, and my electrolyte drink seemed so far away in my pack. Luckily Michael was able to get me revitalized before the final push to the cars.

Then as a final slap in the face, the burger joint we stopped at in CleElum for milkshakes didn't accept debit cards and with no cash what were we to do?

No comments: