Tuesday, October 23, 2007

In Perfect Company


I mean no disrespect to my husband who is my lifetime adventure buddy, but I met my perfect hiking companion several years before meeting him. This companion shares with enthusiasm my passion for any time spent outdoors.

Take this past weekend, she & I went to explore Lake Wilderness Park in Maple Valley and its small yet beautiful arboretum leaving Michael behind. We wandered through the trees glowing in the orange, red and yellow of the season before immersing ourselves into the dark green of the surrounding forest. I know I'm not supposed to but at this time I let my companion of the leash so she could run down the trail as if she were the puppy I fell in love with so many years ago while I followed, laughing at her antics.

It's not often that a person can find someone who not only shares in their activities, but also shares the pure joy they experience while doing it. Michael enjoys the outdoors almost as much as I do, but just to walk through the woods on a drizzly Sunday morning is not his ideal. As long as she gets to sniff and roll and run, Olympia is just as happy as I am when I breathe fresh air, crawl on the ground with my camera, and just stretch my legs.

Here's to all our loyal friends, four-legged or not.

No comments: