Monday, July 02, 2007

Beauty on the Eastside


De Roux Creek 7/1/07 6 miles


I hate to admit this, but I had never been hiking in the Teanaway area. So when the Mountaineers Naturalists needed help in the area with outings for their class, I jumped at the chance. I was attached to a group heading up the De Roux Creek trail.


For a girl raised on the wet side of the mountains, Eastern Washington holds fascination for me. I love the wide open views where the trees and undergrowth don't get in the way. And yes, I realize I might be a little strange for saying this, but I like seeing the brown - of the rocks, dirt, dried grass. It's just such a different color to the one that permeates everything on the westside.


yet here I was with the naturalist group studying flowers, ferns and trees - some of which were new to me and others in the group, but there were quite a few old friends to me, flowers and plants that I had grown up with and are a comfort for me to see - beacons of the hiking season. What a wonderful way to be introduced to a new hiking area - through old friends such as the Avalanche Lily, Elephant's Head, and Columbine.


I have every intention of heading back - and soon.

No comments: