Sunday, February 18, 2007

Discovery Park


Discovery Park 1/20/07 3 miles

What better way to experience a sunny January afternoon in Seattle than to walk through one of the many parks? On this day I decided that a jaunt through Discovery Park would not only be refreshing but add a little mileage to my legs – plainly, I needed to stretch my legs a bit during the short winter days and Discovery Park is a great place to do just that.


After a quick discussion with the park volunteers in the visitor center and armed with my new park map, I started out on the 2 ½ mile loop trail circumnavigating the park. A gentle stroll through the woods led me to the big north meadow where couples, families and dogs enjoyed the superlative views of the islands and Olympics beyond. And the snow-covered Olympic mountains held their own against the afternoon haze settling in around them. Overlooking the north meadow are a few of the old buildings from when Discovery Park was within the perimeter of Fort Lawton. I had to squint against their shine in the afternoon sun, they were so bright.

I wandered along the cliff edge over-looking the sound and the beach below to where the trail split between continuing through the woods or down the hill to the beach. I can never pass up an opportunity to walk along a beach so made my way downhill to the beckoning waves. I’ve always felt a connection between myself and the rhythmic sounds of water and as I walked along the beach my breath slowed as did my pace. I absorbed the smells, sounds, and sensations of this beautiful day. A quick stop to admire our little lighthouse on the point and I rounded the point to watch a pair of kayakers paddle their way through quiet ripples.

A small pond lies on the north side of the point – a perfect spot for bird watching. I spotted a variety of water-birds, but sadly wasn’t able to get a clear photograph. Then came the climb back up to the original trail which not only exercised my leg muscles but my heart and lungs. Up there, in the trees, a sense of solitude accompanied me back to my starting point. Soon I was back in my car heading to Chinooks for a fish taco and lemonade. Looking forward to a spring filled with hiking and spectacular views.

No comments: